Although Harpfield Primary Academy is its own admission authority, Stoke on Trent City Council is responsible for the organisation of the admission process and this is coordinated by them using the Common Application Form and timetable.

By law, children have to start school by the beginning of the school term after their fifth birthday (this is when they reach compulsory school age).

How old your child should be when they start school

At Harpfield we have a Nursery class (26 places) and a Reception class (30 places).  Children come into the Nursery class in September and they must already be 3 by the 1 September in order to be eligible for admission.  For the Reception class, children must be 4 by the 1 September of the year of admission. Nursery children will have their fourth birthday and Reception children will have their fifth birthday during the school year.

Our Admissions Policy is published on this site but more information, including details of the appeals process, is available from the Stoke-on-Trent City Council website:

You will be able to complete on line application forms on the Stoke on Trent site once the annual process opens.

Registering your interest in a place at Harpfield Primary Academy

If your child isn’t old enough to start school yet, you may register an interest in a place by contacting us. When your child is old enough, we will get in touch with you so that you can make sure that you get the application details in good time.

Registering an interest at a school does not give your child priority for a place just because their name has been down longer than any other child.

Applying for an In Year admission

If your child is already at school and you wish to apply for a school place outside the year of entry please get in touch to see if places are available in your child’s year group.  Moving schools is not encouraged because it does disrupt your child’s education but there are occasions, such as house moves where this is unavoidable and we do our best to support new children to help them make friends and settle down a quickly as possible.  A copy of the In-Year Application form is available on this site, but please get in touch for more information.